Friday night apartment fire starts on stove
Merrill Police Department extinguishes flames
TINA L. SCOTT
Merrill Police Department and Merrill Fire Department both responded to a Friday evening 911 call. Engine 62, Truck 63, and Med 62 were all dispatched and “responded immediately to 111 Martin Street for stove on fire and dispatch quickly corrected the address to 711 Martin Street,” Merrill Fire Chief Josh Klug said. “Units responded emergent with lights and sirens.”
Prior to arrival, the Merrill Police Department had determined the location of the apartment, made entry, and used an extinguisher to put out a cooking fire, Chief Klug said. Merrill Fire Department units arrived to an evacuated apartment building.
“There was smoke coming from the door of apartment 10,” Klug said. “No flames were visible and PD stated the fire was out.”
Merrill Fire Department personnel did enter the apartment equipped with a fire extinguisher and thermal imager to verify the fire was extinguished,” he added. “Fire was confirmed extinguished. Heavy smoke remained in the structure so positive pressure fan was used to ventilate the structure.”
Prior to departure, the fire alarm was silenced and the pull station and the alarm panel reset, Klug indicated. Fire Department personnel also educated the occupants about the dangers of frying on a stove and the proper way to put out a grease fire in a kitchen, he said.