Mobile home damaged by fire
Monday morning at 9:08 a.m., the Merrill Fire Department was dispatched for a report of a mobile home fire at N2819 County Road K, Town of Merrill. Initial response from Merrill Fire Department included Engine 62, Tender 65, Medic 61 and Car 67. Command from Engine 62 requested WPS to the scene to disconnect power and DNR to the scene.
Upon arrival, Engine 62 assumed command and reported heavy fire and smoke from a partially involved mobile home and a rubbish pile. Command was met on the scene by a neighbor who reported the building was vacant and not occupied. Merrill fire companies pulled two pre-connected hose line and set up a rural water shuttle operation. The fire was extinguished by on scene firefighters.
Interviews were conducted by the fire department with the worker on the scene. It was reported that the worker had started the rubbish fire with some gasoline and the fire became out of control.
The cause of the fire is considered careless use of fire, at this time. No injuries to citizens or fire service personnel were reported. The damage is estimated at $5,000 to the building and contents. The Merrill Fire Department received mutual aid from law enforcement and the Wisconsin DNR.