Video: Local tradesman pitches in on restoration of century-old church.
The First Estonian Evangelical Church of Martin Luther was the first Estonian church built in North America and was first established in 1907, near what is now County Roads X and J near Gleason, WI. According to historical records, the church was dedicated in 1914 by founding fathers: Johan Wiltein, George Tutt and Albert Sommi. Over the years the church has fallen to disarray.
Now thanks to a concerted restoration drive and fund raiser in 2014 by the Estonian community and now the intervention of local geologist/tradesman Dave Towle of Merrill, a new roof and foundation will soon become a reality for the 109 year old church. . However as Towle explains, the foundation and roof is just the beginning.
To date, Towle has singlehandedly performed all of the current restoration work on the church, but more help and funding is needed. Those interested in participating in the restoration of the First Estonian Evangelical Church of Martin Luther may contact project organizer Bill Rebane at (715) 893-2254 or firstname.lastname@example.org. More information regarding the church and updates on the efforts underway to restore it, can be found n Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/metsakirik/?fref=ts