MAPS to host Facilities Planning Focus Group sessions
Merrill Area Public School (MAPS) District is inviting community members, staff, and parents to attend a series of Facilities Planning Focus Group sessions. The purpose of these conversations is to gather community input regarding long-term operational and facilities planning, the future of the vacant Jefferson Elementary School building, and potential referenda.
The information gathered during these conversations would lead to the development of a community-wide survey, which would be distributed by School Perceptions to MAPS community members in Fall of 2023. Results from this survey will be used by the Board of Education to determine support for potential referenda.
The dates for the upcoming facilities planning community focus group sessions are:
● Tuesday, June 13, 2023 – 5:30 – 7:30 p.m., Prairie River Middle School
● Tuesday, June 27, 2023 – 5:30 – 7:30 p.m., Jefferson Elementary School
● Tuesday, July 11, 2023 – 5:30 – 7:30 p.m., Washington Elementary School
Participants are encouraged to attend all sessions if possible, as each will build on the previous session’s work.
The District welcomes all district residents to attend to provide input and participate in this important work. To RSVP, please call the District Office at 715.536.4581 or email [email protected].
Merrill Area Public Schools has operational and facility needs throughout the district, and is asking the community to provide feedback on how and when to address these needs. By gathering a group of thoughtful citizens at the Focus Group sessions, the District seeks to gain valuable insight and meaningful input prior to a district-wide survey.
Topics that will be discussed at the Facilities Planning Focus Group sessions include:
● The existing state of our school buildings and how classroom space is utilized
● Operational challenges the district is currently facing
● Proposed plan(s) that address our most immediate needs
● Estimated cost(s) of those plan(s) and direct impact to your taxes
● How you can share information in the community throughout the process
● Types of referenda and laws around both types
More information is available at https://www.mapsedu.org/.