Geiss Meat Service takes homes 17 awards from WAMP
BY TINA L. SCOTT
Geiss Meat Service of Merrill attended the Wisconsin Association of Meat Producers (WAMP) Conference in Madison April 12-16, 2023. They attend annually and participate in the Wisconsin Specialty Meat Championships, the largest cured meat product show in the United States, which gives WAMP members the opportunity to have their products judged and rated. This show makes it possible for participants to compare their product with other processors in the state.
This year Geiss Meat Service brought home 17 awards and 2 honorable mentions:
• R.W. Bray Award of Excellence- Best of Show- Commercial Ham (this is the big trophy)
• Grand Champion-Kielbasa
• Grand Champion-Pineapple Pizza Brat
• Grand Champion-Bone-In Ham
• Grand Champion-Peppercorn Bologna
• Reserve Grand Champion-Beef Strip
• Reserve Grand Champion-Chili Cheese Wieners
• Champion-Beef & Pork Bacon
• Champion-Old World Sausage
• Reserve Champion-Smoked Badger Brat
• Reserve Champion-Breakfast Maple Links
• Reserve Champion-Bacon
• Reserve Champion-Smoked Brat
• Reserve Champion-Smoked Chicken
• Reserve Champion-Traditional Boneless Ham
• Reserve Champion-Liver Ring
• Reserve Champion-Traditional Stick
• Honorable Mention-Bologna
• Honorable Mention-Peppered Bologna Loaf
Most of these items can be found in Geiss Meat Service’s new retail store at W4490 Pope Rd. in Merrill. Their new retail store opened on Labor Day 2022 in the rotunda building when entering the Geiss/Little Florida Trailer park area and provides much more space to offer more products to consumers.
A grand opening for the new retail store is planned for June.
“We would like to extend a huge thank you to all of our employees for all of their hard work and dedication,” Andy and Michelle Geiss said.