Friday fire likely caused by a towel over a lamp
TINA L. SCOTT
The City of Merrill Fire Department (MFD) responded to a two-story brick home on Joe Snow Rd. in Merrill on Friday, June 3, 2022, for a reported fire. While no smoke or flames were visible from the driveway, a 360-degree assessment revealed visible smoke coming from the second story of the home on two sides, and it was hot, the MFD reported.
MFD requested Tomahawk EMS to Irma for EMS standby, and additional fire units were requested from Corning, Russell, and Pine River Fire Departments.
The “attack crew had a charged water line at the point of entry,” said Merrill Fire Chief Josh Klug. “A water can was carried up to the second story where the seat of the fire was found. The water can was used to extinguish a small hot spot at the point of origin. Attack crew used a TIC to check for extension of the fire and noted none.”
“Positive pressure ventilation was used to clear the home of remaining smoke and heat,” he said.
Prior to MFD arrival, the occupants of the home and their pets had evacuated the premises, and no injuries were reported.
The “fire likely started from a towel that was over a lamp,” Klug said.