Chimney Fire in Town of Scott extinguished
Quick action prevents further damage
TINA L. SCOTT
On the evening of Monday, Dec. 20, 2021, at 6:33 p.m. the Merrill Fire Department responded to a report of a chimney fire at W4793 Pine Ave. in the Town of Scott. Engine-61, Tender-65, and Medic-62 arrived on scene.
“Firefighters extinguished the fire in the chimney using fire extinguishers and chimney bombs and then used a chain to clean the chimney,” Merrill Fire Chief Josh Klug said in a press release on Tuesday morning. “Fire crews made sure the fire did not spread outside of the chimney and used a ventilation fan to clear the house of smoke.”
The chimney fire was in a two-story farmhouse, so roof access was difficult,” he added. A quick response on the part of the caller who reported the fire and the Merrill Fire Department resulted in the best possible outcome. “No injuries and no damage to the home,” Klug said.
The Merrill Fire Department received assistance from Tomahawk EMS and Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office, as well, he added.
“This is the third structure fire since Thanksgiving in our fire jurisdiction, which means there are now three red bulbs on our Keep the Wreath Green fire prevention wreath,” Klug said. “We urge the public to practice fire safety throughout the rest of the holiday season.”
It is the fourth fire in the Merrill area, counting last week’s fire on Hwy. 64 east of Merrill in the Town of Pine River which resulted in a death.