Additional details released on Pine River fire
Sunday evening, May 3, the Pine River Fire Department released additional details on a grease fire which had occurred earlier that afternoon, on County Road P.
“On Sunday May 3, at 4:48 p.m. the Pine River Fire Department was dispatched to the report of a fire in a kitchen at a home located at W2784 County Rd P, Merrill.
A deputy from the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office arrived on the scene a short time later and was able to use a fire extinguisher on the fire but was driven out by the heavy smoke.
When firefighters arrived they performed an interior attack on the fire containing it mostly to the room of origin, although firefighters worked for hours checking walls and ceiling for extension in the 100+ year-old farm house.
The home owner, a 50 year old Merrill woman, was the lone occupant of the home. She was injured in the fire and was transported by the Merrill Fire Department ambulance to Aspirus-Wausau Hospital for non-life threatening injuries. When she exited the home, the woman was able to take some household pets, believed to be two dogs and two cats but one dog remained inside. Firefighters located the dog during a search and brought it out of the home where first responders worked to revive the animal, but it died on the scene.
Based on statements made by the homeowner it is believed the fire started on the stove.