Electrical issue suspected cause of early-morning house fire on West Main Street
No injuries were reported following an early-morning house fire on West Main Street, Thursday.
According to a press release issued by the Merrill Fire Department Thursday afternoon, “Just after 3 o’clock this morning, Merrill Fire Department responded to the 1900 block of West Main Street in the City of Merrill for a reported house fire. MFD Engine-61, Truck-63, and Medic-62 responded immediately to the scene. Upon arrival, firefighters found fire coming from a second story window. The crew attacked the fire from the outside and then proceeded inside to make final extinguishment of the blaze. The Incident Commander confirmed that all occupants and pets were out of home. After putting out the fire, the interior attack crew checked for hot spots. Fire damage was limited to the second floor.
Off-duty Merrill firefighters, Merrill Police Department, Corning Fire Department, and Wisconsin Public Service assisted at the scene. Tomahawk EMS stood by for ambulance coverage as well. The Merrill Water Utility and Merrill Street Department also helped out.”
MFD reports all three occupants of the residence were able to escape thanks to working smoke detectors. After the initial fire investigation, the area of origin was on the second floor. The fire is considered accidentally and potentially caused by an electrical issue. The American Red Cross is assisting the family at this time.