Details of house fire released
The Merrill Fire Department was dispatched for a report of a structure fire at 402 Mill Street, in the City of Merrill. Initial response from Merrill Fire department included, Engine 62, Medic 61, Truck 63 and Car 60. MFD request mutual aid from Pine River Fire Department, WPS and Tomahawk EMS to stage in Irma.
Upon arrival command was assumed by Engine 62 and he reported heavy smoke and fire showing from the rear of the house. Command was advised by dispatch of the Merrill Police Department with a fire victim and they needed an ambulance on the north side of the house. Medic 61 attended to the fire victim and transported to Good Samaritan Health Center.
Because of the volume of fire and the companies committed to the fire victim, the Incident Commander requested a MABAS Box Alarm, with mutual aid fire companies coming from Corning Fire Department, Russell Fire Department, Wausau Fire Department, Pine River Fire Department, Tomahawk EMS as well as assistance from the Salvation Army. The Merrill Police Department and the Merrill Street Department provide traffic and scene control.
Initial fire operations included a defensive attack of extinguishing the fire on the exterior of the building. The incident commander ordered fire companies to move to interior fire attack mode and fire extinguishment took place by firefighters inside of the building with SCBA’s and hose lines. A total of three 1 ¾” hose lines were deployed. While deploying the hand lines, the base of the fire was found to be in the kitchen area of the first floor and the second floor right about the kitchen (north west corner of house). Fire personnel removed wall and ceiling coverings to expose the fire exposures in the hidden spaces of the house.. Further fire extension was checked with a thermal imaging camera and none was found
Interviews were conducted with the property owner while he was being transported to the hospital. An interview was conducted by the MPD of his care giver. The cause and origin has determined the fire started in the kitchen stove area, with and unattended deep fryer.
The 77 year old male homeowner has been transferred to the UW-Madison Burn Center in Madison with critical injuries.