House, garage fire on Pope Road

Just before 2 p.m. Tuesday, the Lincoln County 911 Center received a call of a garage on fire on Pope Road, just north of the city of Merrill in the town of Merrill.

When a deputy arrived, he observed the garage fully engulfed and part of the house next to the garage on fire. the homeowner told the deputy she had put some hot grease into a garbage can in the garage, along with other refuse. The woman then put water into the burning garbage can, which caused sparks to fly up and ignite the insulation above.

The Merrill Fire Department was assisted on scene by the town of Pine River Volunteer Fire Department as well as crews from Wisconsin Public Service.

The home and garage appear to have suffered substantial damage and appear to be a total loss.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top